Monday 20 February 2012

Sixty Years of the Mousetrap! Outfit Post and Review

Half term is just wonderful for mini-breaks and as we have a relly on the outskirts of London, what better than a trip 'up tahn' to see a very vintage play?!

Agatha Christie's the Mousetrap was written in the late 1940s and first performed as a play in 1952 and has been continuously performed ever since! As a belated 40th birthday pressie I went off to see it at St. Martin's Theatre in London's West End.
The Mousetrap current cast
I must confess, I didn't know much about it before seeing the play, apart from the fact it was by Christie and had been running for years. I hadn't appreciated it was set in 1952 and that we'd be treated to such great costumes from one of my favourite periods of fashion history!

I wore my new fav dress, it's called Aimee and is from Heartbreaker Fashion (although I found it at a very reasonable price at Cherry Retro!) What do you think?
Aimee Dress by Heartbreaker from Cherry Retro
The play is part murder mystery and part farce really- it's a very clever tale of suspicion, intrigue and great timing! I was mildly distracted however by the gorgeous New Look style dress Georgina Sutcliffe wears in her part of Mollie Halston. It's an amazing blue full skirted dress with nipped in waist and shawl collar and cuffs in a contrasting blue and white polka dot. Unfortunately we didn't buy a programme so I have no idea who the costume designer is, but boy would I love to get my hands on that dress!
Stunning 'New Look' inspired dress worn by Georgina Sutcliffe
The theatre is absolutely gorgeous, it's a grade 2 listed building, a twin to The Ambassadors theatre and built in 1916. It was the perfect surroundings to watch a 1950s scene unfolding from a 1940s script.
The Mousetrap in its 60th year

The cute (but rather small!) bar upstairs in St Martins Theatre
All in all, it was a fantastic day out. being situated so close to Trafalgar square I just had to snap the Mall, the National Gallery and of course, Nelson's Column. Well, who wouldn't? And my 1950s inspired Aimee dress was right at home!
View to the Mall
National  Gallery
Nelson's Column, Trafalgar Square
 Being sworn to the Mousetrap secrecy code I couldn't possibly tell you Whodunit, but if you'd like to find out for yourself, the 60th anniversary tour begins towards the end of this year with an all star cast (apparently!) and should be fab!

What have you guys been up to over half term?
                            x

No comments: