Wednesday 16 November 2011

Sun, Sea, Surf and 50s kitsch!

While out and about last weekend we visited the Coventry Transport Museum's temporary exhibition dedicated to the vehicles used by surfers through the years entitled 'Wheels and Waves'.
It was a great exhibit and as I love all things that remind me of the 50s and Australia, it was the perfect spot for some reminiscing of glorious holidays down under with my brother and his wonderful family!

There were some great VW camper vans parked on the makeshift beach. One was even decked out in Cath Kidston accessories which of course was squealed over by the girls I had with me.


There was a history of surfing dating back to Good Ole Captain Cook watching Aborigines on the surf near Sydney through to planks of wood being used right up to contemporary British surfers and the exclusive boards still made in Cornwall.


I quite liked the surf shack full of retro memorabilia and the use of kitsch films like 'Beach Party' which starred Frankie Avalon in 1963.
So that was the Wheels & Waves retro surfer exhibition. Here's me in my new Heyday wrap top and Lady K Loves Rosie trousers enjoying the camper vans!!!!
What are your favourite retro or vintage holiday spots?
                              X

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice to see a dodge alongside the obvious VWs xx
ps) I love your top really suits you!