Friday 6 July 2012

Outfit Post: Circle Skirts and a bit of 1950s history

I must confess, I've been building up a bit of courage to wear this ensemble as 1950s petticoats are not that common on my school run!
I picked up this circle skirt from Marina Retro and already had a Collectif petticoat so I thought the time had come to strut some funky 1950s stuff!
I already had this cute retro style cardigan from Matalan and my fantabulous Miss L Fire shoes, so I added a high ponytail, some little pearly studs and my cherry brooch (on sale in Outfit!). What do you think? Have I managed to channel a little Sandra Dee?
The circle skirt first made its way into mainstream fashion in the 1950s once fabric rations were lifted. As they are literally cut out of a single piece of fabric, they give a very dramatic shape. Petticoats were then used to accentuate the narrow waist and make a distinction between the waist and the full skirt.
Circle skirts were then made popular by the diva's of the day Marilyn Monroe, Katherine Hepburn and Jane Mansfield which brought them into the sight of the masses. Easy to make at home, the skirts took on all kinds of themes, prints and appliques and the styles were utilised by dress designers to create the halter neck dress with full circle skirt. I have to say, I feel incredibly feminine and glamorous in mine! Here's to Audrey! xXx
Audrey Hepburn in 'Roman Holiday' (Source)

5 comments:

Louise Mc said...

I imagine you are the most glamorous mum on the school run. I do love circle skirts. X

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I love circle skirts! You look great, very Sandra Dee, is there a maltshop on the way back from the school run?

Ange said...

Thanks lovelies! No maltshop, but I do feel fab in this little number! xXx

Vivi Loubelle said...

Gorgeous outfit! Those shoes are divine. Thank you for commenting on my blog! I will follow you now. :)

Lula Belle said...

You look gorgeous! Love the dress. I'm also a lover of 1950's and channel this through pencil skirts. Very much liked Marilyn's style.

Lisa